Going out on the lake for a boat ride is one of the most relaxing and fun summer activities out there. It doesn’t matter if you are taking out a power boat or a paddle boat, being out on the open water can make you feel stress-free and at ease.
Ads related to
Whatever type of boat you are taking out in the water there are a few things that you need to keep in mind before heading out. Keep reading to find out more about how to have a fun and safe time the next time you go boating.
- Before heading out on the water you should always make sure that you tell others where you are going and give them an estimated time of when you will be back. This will let people know to where to check on you if you don’t return back by your given time.
- Inspect your boat to ensure it is in good condition and safe before you leave. Look for any cracks or leaks in the boat. Don’t go out if it looks like there could be problems. If you are taking a motorized boat make sure that your motor is running smoothly and that you have enough gas.
- Look up what the current weather conditions are and what the future conditions are predicted to be. The water and weather conditions can change quickly and you need to be prepared. Check to make sure that you have everything you need with you if the weather was to change drastically including distress and safety equipment.
- You should make sure that you are fully prepared before heading out on the water. There is nothing worse than going boating for the day and realizing you forgot something you needed. That is why you should always double check that you have everything you need before taking off including sunscreen, bug spray, lifejackets, drinks and more.
- Make sure you know the rules of the water. Some lakes, rivers, bays and more have strict rules about what type of boating is allowed. You should also be away of any State laws that may be in effective in your area. You should also have a set course before you head out so that you will not get lost or inadvertently go out too far.
When you are out on the water safety measures need to be taken. Being prepared for any mishaps or accidents is the first rule for boating safety. Some of the main safety items that you require while out on the water include:
- Engine spare part
- Cell Phone
- Throwable floatation device
- Visual distress signals that affective during the day and night
- Horns or bells
- Fire extinguisher
- Copy of the Island Rules of the Road
- Navigation lights
- Walkie Talkie/ VHF radio
- Engine spare parts
- First Aid Kit
- Personal identification
Boating is a fun recreational water activity when you are prepared and safe. Don’t drink and boat, make sure to have appropriate lifejackets for everyone onboard, and have fun.
Ads related to